On April 28, 1953, the Niagara Falls School Board acquired title to the Love Canal property from Hooker Chemical for the fee of $1. The deed contained this disclaimer:
Besides the disclaimer above, the School Board received advice from their own counsel that to purchase the land would place undue financial risk upon the city and school board. The construction company hired to build the school also advised against construction, but the school board was not to be dissuaded. A school was built and opened in 1955--with some buildings directly atop the waste-filled canal.
From 1942 to 1953, Hooker Chemicals and Plastics Corporation (now Occidental Chemical Corporation) disposed of over 21,000 tons of various chemicals including dioxin-tainted trichlorophenols at the Love Canal site.
In 1950, after the site was deeded to the city of Niagara Falls Board of Education, the 93rd Street School was built.
In 1954, a second school, the 99th Street School, was built adjacent to the mid-portion of the canal.
Before construction of the 93rd Street School, a drainage swale had crossed the site. In 1954, the site was graded to its present contours with approximately 3,000 cubic yards of fill materials including fill from the 99th street school.
During the mid-1970's, contaminated leachate migrated to the surface of the canal, to some residential basements adjacent to the canal, and through sewers to area creeks.
Expenses to date for the Love Canal remediation project total about $250,000,000.
Costs and Reimbursements:
This material is copyrighted. See the copyright notice.